The Hair Industry Has Evolved…..
Removing ammonia from hair colours is a major advancement in the hair industry. In the 1960’s hair colours contained 20% ammonia. Now, over ½ a decade later, after years of medical and environmental research; it is possible to effectively colour hair without ammonia.
Dangers of Ammonia on Your hair:
- The corrosive characteristics of ammonia destroys the tyrosine (the protein that regulates the production of melanin) in human hair and inhibits hair’s natural ability to “hold” colour.
- It renders hair follicles to become dormant for an indeterminate amount of time causing hair to thin.
- It irreparably damages the cuticle which sacrifices the hair’s structural integrity
- It extracts water from the cells and depletes the hair of moisture and will ultimately destroy and incapacitate the sebaceous glands which produces sebum, the hair’s natural moisturizer.
The use of Ammonia is completely counterproductive to nurturing healthy hair.
Dangers of Ammonia in Your Salon
The professional salon industry is generally under the impression that ammonia is safe. However, this caustic toxin which is most commonly used to in commercial cleaning products has been linked with causes of cancer by the World Health Organization. In addition to being a carcinogen, there is strong evidence that long term exposure to ammonia fumes and ammonia hydroxide can cause:
- obesity, depression, and social anxiety disorder.
- high blood pressure, pulmonary edema, and bronchitis.
- long term damage skin cell damage and eventually cause serious skin complications.
- damage to the eyes, liver, kidneys and lungs, triggering asthma & amplifying allergies.
There is NO need to use Ammonia in Hair Colour
An alternative to ammonia is ethanolamine. Ethanolamine is an organic compound that gently opens and penetrates the hair shaft, leaving the hair in exceptional condition. The technology uses different substitutes to carry out the reactions needed to colour hair, which are far less harmful than ammonia.
THE FUTURE OF SALON HAIR COLOUR IS AMMONIA FREE
We are working really hard to create “clean” products and this involves ongoing research and development and product reformulation and as a result our ranges are continually evolving. Philip Martin’s Organic Base Colour range products contain NO Ammonia, provide 100% grey coverage, and are Paraben Free with NO COMPROMISE on Quality, Health & Performance.